About Mel Cowen:
Hey fitchick! Thanks for stopping by. My name is Mel and I am a 40-something woman, wife, mom of 6, grandma of 3. In 2010, I had about had it with my fitness and was ready to pull my hair out. It seemed like no matter what I did, I was never going to lose the weight I had gained and I was relegated to being an old, frumpy, weak woman instead of the hot mama that I knew was somewhere deep inside of me. I was blessed to find a great workout program that acted as my gateway drug into working out… HARD!. FINALLY I had found a program that worked. It wasn’t just because the workouts were intense – I had done intense before. It was because I also learned how to eat to fuel my body for peak performance. Even as a nurse, I really didn’t know enough about good nutrition practices to make a dent in my weight loss. By adding sound nutritional habits to my arsenal of weapons against the war on frump, I was able to EAT MORE and still lose weight. Way more weight than I thought was possible.
My journey started for mere physical reasons. I wanted to look good so I could start feeling good about myself again. But what I have learned over the past 5+ years is that it took more mental and emotional work to really get to where I wanted to be. Through personal development, training, and lots of time in prayer, I can honestly say I am a far different, more improved version of me then I was back in 2010.
Now it’s my turn to pay it forward to you. I have been serving clients since 2010. I focus on your wellness from head to toe, inside and out by taking what hasn’t worked in the past and developing a plan together that is easy to follow and maintain. It isn’t about just looking hot in a bathing suit. It’s about finding yourself again, learning to love who God made you to be, regardless of your size and shape. I take a 5-pronged approach to your wellness by focusing on:
- EARTH – this is your foundation of strength. We develop a strength training routine that targets those tough areas that women struggle with most.
- FIRE – this is your cardio conditioning. Now that you’ve started a strength training routine, we use cardio to help you burn the fat. Low impact moves are used to keep your joints healthy too.
- AIR – as we age, we start to lose balance and core strength. Your program will incorporate both into your workout routines while improving your overall flexibility.
- WATER – I think this is one of the most important pieces of the work we’ll do together – here we focus on your hydration and nutrition. How many calories? How many macros? Meal planning, menus, recipes – yep, it’s all in there!
- HEART – you can start a program with the best intentions, but if you’re mind’s not right, it’s just not gonna last. I take your emotional wellness seriously and help you to overcome past challenges while developing new, healthier habits.
Being a nurse and certified diabetes educator, I also offer additional support to women with diabetes and/or concerns with heart health.
Every woman is unique and I cherish that individuality by providing you with a plan created with you in mind. If you have been struggling with your health or with being motivated and accountable to yourself, contact me today to get started.