I was a little skeptical when I thought about trying out a gluten free, dairy free, pork free Zuppa. I mean, seriously, how could something typically so rich still have flavor when the cream was being taken out? Well, check this out because you’re gonna be so freakin’ amazed at how delicious this recipe is!
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used chicken sausage)
- 1 lb nitrate, nitrite free bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (Swanson is gluten free; I use the unsalted version)
- kale , stems removed and leaves chopped, 4 cups
- 1 can coconut milk
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add sausage and sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes over. When browned and cooked through, drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon pieces in the same pot until crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Remove the crisped bacon and set aside. Keeping the bacon fat in the pot, stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot with the onions and garlic, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until just tender, about 10-20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the coconut milk and the cooked sausage; heat through. Add the bacon and the kale into the soup just before serving and cook just until kale turns bright green and is softened.